Friday, June 21, 2013

Broad Street Run 2013

In early May, I ran the Broad Street 10 mile run. It was chilly and cloudy early in the morning and there were thousands of people in the race, so the site was very crowded. It is super hard to go to the bathroom before the race, the lines are huge, so I recommend trying to go right before you leave to get there if possible!

I started out at an 8 minute/mile pace and my goal was to hold that pace the whole time. I kept hitting the time at each mile marker and it seemed like a sustainable pace. They had water every few miles and sometimes there was gatorade too. By the 6th mile, I still had gas in the tank, so I upped the pace to a little below 7:30 minutes/mile. I was able to sustain it for the last four miles so I beat my target of 1:20 by about 3 minutes! I probably should have started out at a little faster pace, but I do think I performed near the top of my ability, because it was very hard to hold that 7:30 minute/mile pace near the end. I liked that they had a clock at mile intervals, it made it easy to pace myself without a GPS watch.

This course is great for running. It's extremely straight and most of it is slightly downhill. Unfortunately, since it's so crowded, you have to do a lot of weaving to pass people. I saw a lot of people in the wrong gate, so there were a lot of runners with slow paces that I had to pass. Still, even though I had to weave a lot, it was a great feeling to be able to pass so many people. There was a good amount of people lining the street for the whole 10 miles, and it was nice to see so many people out there supporting us. They had bottles of water right after the finish and then bags of food right by, which I greatly appreciated! Considering how many people there were, I definitely think it was a well run race. I'll be entering the lottery again next year and shooting for another PR!

No comments:

Post a Comment