Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Introductions

Hello, all of my as-yet nonexistant readers! This is my first blog post. My name is Austin Kuba and I am a chemical engineering student at Drexel University. I have created this blog as a place to note down all of my adventures as an athlete, do product reviews, and share my views on training.

Until Junior year of high school, I was not an athletic person. I was above average weight (max 5'5" and ~165 lb in eigth grade.) As I went through puberty, I got thinner and stronger and started doing marching band. Eventually I started running by myself, up to a mile, and never very fast. Still, between the two hours on my feet at marching band practice and the general activity that a busy schedule brings, I ended up around 5'9" 150 lb and not totally out of shape near the end of my freshman year. I decided I wanted to be fitter and began doing occasional pushups and core workouts and trying harder in gym. My gym teacher in sophomore/junior year noticed that I was decent at breast stroke, and I decided to try to get into sports. In junior year, I joined swimming and then track. I made sure to swim as much as possible in the week or two before the season started to try to get my fitness level up. I began getting healthier and then joined track. At this point, I had an IT band injury that slowed me down for the rest of the season. I recovered and was healthy the next year. When I arrived at college, I joined the Drexel University Triathlon Team. I continue to train as much as possible (which isn't always that much...chemical engineer!) and do many races a year, from 5ks to sprint and olympic distance triathlons (my favorite!) to spartan races, tough mudders, and half marathons.

I am interested in researching renewable energy sources and hope to do my part to make clean energy affordable and commonplace. I hope to get my Ph.D. My favorite book is Ernest Hemingway's "For Whom the Bell Tolls" and my favorite bands/ artists are Brett Dennen, The Parlotones, fun. and Villagers. I know how to play the trombone and like to sing! I also cook and try to eat healthy, although I've been known to have the occasional cheat day! I'm looking forward to sharing my experience and I hope someone finds it useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment